Here are a few fun mountain facts that I came across:
- he highest railway station in Europe (the Jungfraujoch, canton of Berne, 3,454m/11,330ft).
- The highest permanently inhabited village in Europe (Juf, canton of Graubünden, 2,126m/7,000ft).
- The highest brewery in Europe (Monstein, canton of Graubünden, 1,600m/5,250ft).
- The highest tram in Europe (Zermatt, canton of Valais, 2,222m/7,290ft).
- The highest exterior elevator in Europe (the Hammetschwand lift to the top of Bürgenstock, canton of Nidwalden, 153m/502ft).
- The steepest cog railway in the world (Pilatus, canton of Lucerne, gradient of 48%).
- The steepest funicular railway in the world (the Gelmer at the foot of the Grimsel Pass, canton of Berne, gradient of 106% in places).
- The steepest road used by coaches in Europe (from the Kander to the Kien Valley in the Bernese Oberland, gradient of 28%).
- The longest glacier in Europe (the Aletsch, canton of Valais, approx. 23km/14 miles).
If you want to collect your thoughts and find inner peace this is the right place to head. You can walk and walk until your feet are tired and achy but one can never grow tired of views like these. The Swiss mountains make me fall in love with this county over and over.